Top ten tips to keep your pets happy during the fireworks season
- Provide a den or hiding place for your pet whilst fireworks are going off.
- Use an Adaptil or Feliway Diffuser as close to the den or hiding place as possible, or where your pet spends most of its time.
- Ignore fearful behaviour, dogs may pick up on their owners' anxiety making the problem worse.
- Walk your dog early in the evening before fireworks start.
- Ensure windows, doors and cat flaps remain closed during firework season to both prevent pets escaping and reduce the noise.
- Ensure your cats have access to enough litter trays during firework season especially if you're keeping them inside.
- Provide distractions, in the form of new toys and chews. Draw curtains and put the TV on to mask any noise.
- DO NOT punish your pet! This will only make your pet more distressed.
- Try not to leave your pets alone when fireworks are going off.
- Continue to use Adaptil or Feliway after the party or fireworks season ends.
For additional support please go online and full in the Sound Sensitivity Questionnaire, available at http://www.adaptil.co.uk/Firework-Fear/Assess-your-dogs-fear-of-fireworks to understand how your pets cope with noise fear, and what resources are available.
These factsheets are provided as guidelines only. If you are at all concerned about the wellbeing of your pet then please call Hope Veterinary Surgery immediately by using our phone number 01782 657788.